Thursday, May 4, 2017

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to support!!

   Diversity Spotlight Thursday got started by Aimal at Bookshelves & Paperbacks and every Thursday we share...

  •  A book we've read
  • A book on our To Be Read list.
  • A book coming out soon. 



Pretty in Pink comes to the South Bronx in this bold and romantic coming-of-age novel about dysfunctional families, good and bad choices, and finding the courage to question everything you ever thought you wanted—from debut author Lilliam Rivera.

THINGS/PEOPLE MARGOT HATES:

Mami, for destroying my social life
Papi, for allowing Junior to become a Neanderthal
Junior, for becoming a Neanderthal
This supermarket
Everyone else

After “borrowing” her father's credit card to finance a more stylish wardrobe, Margot Sanchez suddenly finds herself grounded. And by grounded, she means working as an indentured servant in her family’s struggling grocery store to pay off her debts.

With each order of deli meat she slices, Margot can feel her carefully cultivated prep school reputation slipping through her fingers, and she’s willing to do anything to get out of this punishment. Lie, cheat, and maybe even steal…

Margot’s invitation to the ultimate beach party is within reach and she has no intention of letting her family’s drama or Moises—the admittedly good looking but outspoken boy from the neighborhood—keep her from her goal.
   
   I haven't read too many books this year but this book just spoke to me on so many levels. First, I love the fact that the main character has the same name as my mom's maiden name. It was the first time I ever see that in a book.

   And Margot goes through a really bad family situation that breaks my heart because it happened to me. Our reactions were almost the exact same.  I don't think I can ever re-read this book because I'm still trying to forget and move on. It's still hard for me. But it was very nice to read about someone going through the same thing.

   This book is just so underrated and deserves so much love!! And this was the second book I was able to see myself in.




Add To Goodreads 
When the Moon Was Ours follows two characters through a story that has multicultural elements and magical realism, but also has central LGBT themes—a transgender boy, the best friend he’s falling in love with, and both of them deciding how they want to define themselves.

To everyone who knows them, best friends Miel and Sam are as strange as they are inseparable. Roses grow out of Miel’s wrist, and rumors say that she spilled out of a water tower when she was five. Sam is known for the moons he paints and hangs in the trees, and for how little anyone knows about his life before he and his mother moved to town.

But as odd as everyone considers Miel and Sam, even they stay away from the Bonner girls, four beautiful sisters rumored to be witches. Now they want the roses that grow from Miel’s skin, convinced that their scent can make anyone fall in love. And they’re willing to use every secret Miel has fought to protect to make sure she gives them up.


   This is a book I cannot believe I haven't read. I was super excited to read this before it came out and STILL haven't read it. I luckily bought the hardcover a while ago and plan to read it this month for the book club I recently joined (The Book Bound Society). This is the book of the month we plan to read so you should totally join in!

   I wasn't super into the pacing of Anna Marie McLemore's debut novel but I just have a feeling I'm going to love this one even more. And I already LOVE the dedication she wrote. 





Love grows such strange things.

For nearly a century, the Nomeolvides women have tended the grounds of La Pradera, the lush estate gardens that enchant guests from around the world. They’ve also hidden a tragic legacy: if they fall in love too deeply, their lovers vanish. But then, after generations of vanishings, a strange boy appears in the gardens.

The boy is a mystery to Estrella, the Nomeolvides girl who finds him, and to her family, but he’s even more a mystery to himself; he knows nothing more about who he is or where he came from than his first name. As Estrella tries to help Fel piece together his unknown past, La Pradera leads them to secrets as dangerous as they are magical in this stunning exploration of love, loss, and family.

   I've already freaking pre-ordered this book which I rarely do. That's how much I WANT and NEED this book right now! It just sounds like a book with a strong family dynamic which we rarely see in books.

   Can we just about how gorgeous this cover is?! Anna has got some of the most gorgeous covers. I want to fill a bookshelf with just her books one day.

   This is probably my most highly anticipated book of the year and I hope many people have this on their TBR's (or I'm coming with pitchforks).






Have you heard or read any of these books? What are some Latinx books you've read? Let me know in the comments below.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...