Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Release Date: August 14, 2012
Format: Paperback, 366 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Bought
Series: The Lux Series, #2

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks….

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.


Something worse than the Arum has come to town….

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes….

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies….


My Review:

   This book like the first is still so original with the alien concept. But the thing that separates this book from any other book is that the couple don't break up because they are still not together. For some reason, every YA book series starts the second book in the series with the couple, who are finally together, breaking up. But it's not the case with this book.

   So this book picks up with where the first book picks up; Katy and Daemon are connected so if one them does, they both die. Last time we left off, Katy rejected Daemon because his reasons for wanting to be with her were not good enough. There's a party in the beginning and Katy sees Daemon when Ash later appears and pretends that something was going on with her and Daemon. Katy gets jealous and leaves. *Squeals*

   We're introduced to a new character named Blake and Katy hangs out with him but Daemon doesn't like him. We eventually learn his secret (I'm not going to say) and he helps train Katy with her powers because she wants to learn how to protect herself and Daemon. Something I didn't understand is why she did she not ask Daemon in the first place. Like DUH he has his alien powers like her. Daemon doesn't trust Blake because during the training sessions, he's hurt Katy or almost hurt. Katy doesn't listen to him when he tells her to end the training and he says that he's done.

   Katy does some stupid things in this book but I still love her. And I was really happy for her and Daemon in this book; especially Daemon and Dee, they finally found what they were looking for (a sweet reunion). But because of her mistakes that she committed, she has to deal with a friend not speaking to her. 

   Jennifer never fails to write kick ass characters with awesome personalities like Daemon and Katy. She writes very unique quotes (Funny ones might I add) that will never bore you. It keeps you up on your toes. I didn't hesitate when I finished Obsidian; I rushed to get this book. And let me tell you, this books brought tears to my eyes. It was THAT good. It's very rare that a book has me cry. But the betrayal of a character, I didn't expect. Then the death of another who I was starting to really love. Then I hurt for someone else who was deeply affected by this death. It was all heartbreaking.

   Overall, this book an amazing continuation to awesomeness. And I advice that you have your tissues ready for all the feels at the end.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...