Thursday, August 20, 2015

2016 Books I'm Dying For: Fantasy Edition

   Apparently class of 2016 is heavenly-packed with so many amazing books coming out, which is why I decided to feature several books at once.

   I usually don't go around looking for books that come out each year because my TBR tends to grow. And guess what? I added 68 books that come out next year. That's crazy!! It feels like every '16 book is in my TBR. I have no idea how I'm going to choose what to read because obviously it's impossible to read every single book out there and I won't get to read them all like I hope to.

   There's already 16 books I want read that come out in 2017. I'm also wanting to read the books I actually already own. They've been neglected this year since I've been reading arcs only. 

   But without further a do, here are the books I'm really excited to read. I wish I could include them all but then this post would be way too long. I am going to do a post like this one that's for non-debut authors and contemporary books.

Warning: There is a bit of fangirling, rambling, and me making predictions!

Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman:

   The day I discovered this book was the day I was looking for books that had pirates because I love them. And it had occurred to me that I've never read any pirate books or at least where they're a main character. So when I asked for recommendations, Nikki from Fiction Freak told me about Blackhearts!

   When I read the summary for the very first time, it was one of those that makes you go "holy shit!!" Very few summaries make me go like that. They'll put me in, sure, but there are some that are just magic!

   Also I've never heard of Blackbeard so I should probably inform myself. But I'm DYING for this!!


The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

   As soon as I saw the cover, I was all over it because my love for ships knows no bounds!! And I think it's going to have a touch of historical fiction and time-travel, which I'm very excited for. Just the thought of a time-traveling ship is making the wait extremely hard.

   I also can't wait to see the romance between the main character, Nix, and the Persian thief, Kash because I love nothing more than a good romance.


Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

   Just by the title itself has me hooked. Assassins is one of my other loves in high-fantasy!! And the cover is just beautiful.

   I love the concept that the main character's family was killed by her love interest's family. I just love characters to suffer before they get their happily ever after. Is that bad? It also appears like maybe the MC will be having a love-hate relationship with the love interest since she will be dead set on avenging her family.

   But the mention of having a touch of Romeo & Juliet worries me as I'm not a fan of that story. I'll still give this a chance, regardless.


Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie 

   Beautiful cover. High fantasy with assassins, royalty, and a girl with a rare power. Count me it!

   I can't really decipher what the cover means but it does draw me in. And the summary is just very well written that I'm just dying for this. The mention of heart-rending romance is something that also excites me because like I said before, I love fantasies with romance involved.


Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan

   The very first line in the summary is like a siren, "Raisa was only a child when she was kidnapped and enslaved in Qilara." Very well written high fantasies that deal with slavery just catch my attention.

    It reminds me of The Winner's Curse even though I have yet to read it. One thing that is different is that the roles of the male and female are reversed in this book because in this novel, the female is the slave and the male is the privileged. It also reminds me of Throne Of Glass now that I think of it.

   I know we shouldn't compare books but these similarities make me even more pumped up for this story!


Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

*Also I accidentally used the old cover in the graphic. This is the new cover.*

   Can I just say that this cover is one of the most stunning ones I've ever seen? The summary had me at "Scotland." And the mention of time travel had me thinking of Outlander as young adult version.

   I'm so in!!

   This next particular line in the summary has got me doing so much predicting. "She’s a member of a secret society of time travelers, and is actually trapped in the twelfth century..." The next line mentions a boy that could be the MC's undoing. It makes me think she's going to fall in love and not want to return to her own time. There's probably going to be so many sacrifices. And I can't wait to read this.


Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace

   Who's ready for some zombies?! From what I can gather from the summary, the main character was killed. But she has the ability to kill. And a year has passed. This also feels like it's going to be urban fantasy.

   At first, I thought the story was going to be about a world apocalypse. But I guess I shouldn't rule it out seeing how the word disease is mentioned. It makes me think that there are others just like her that came back to life.

   It sounds like the MC is lonely and it will be a sad journey but I am looking for to this!
   

Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto

   This sounds like it could be bloody with the blood that's on the cover and the mention of cannibals. It also appears to be a western combined with steampunk. Two genres that I don't really read much about but that cover and summary just pull me in that I want to give this a shot. It's making me think of Vengeance Road since it has a similar premise.

   Also that typography is just glorious! I think it's what actually drew me to the book in the first place so A++ to whoever designed the cover. I hope they decide to have the title raised or made in foil.


Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh

   What a beautiful yet eery cover? I think underwater covers are just brilliant. It makes me think of The Mara Dyer series that have similar covers.

   People are vanishing and it's all somehow connected to the sea in the Isle of Man. I feel like this story could either be a thriller with a psycho out in the sea or a dark magic force at work.

   It makes think I won't be able to read this at night. But I have been looking for more creepy books like this one so I can't wait for it's release.



What do you think of all these 2016 debuts? Have you heard of them?

16 comments:

  1. I'm not up to date on 2016 releases....yet. But, all of these look amazing! *runs off to add ALL THE BOOKS to Goodreads*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've heard of any of these, so thanks so much for sharing. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I should try more. I'll be curious to see your other round-up posts for 2016 books! Fear the Drowning Deep looks really cool and definitely a nice cover!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I personally love fantasy over contemporary for some reason.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh yes all the #FAC16 debut baes <33 So many awesome fantasy novels are coming out next year, and I can't wait! I met Sarah Glenn Marsh, and she is AMAZING and sweet and super cool :) Kathryn is such a good singer and she even wrote a song for Burning Glass. Ahhhh!! :) Wonderful list <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's awesome! I saw that she was with Jodi Meadows at Bookitcon. And I'd love to see Kathryn sing. That's so cool that she actually made a song for her book. I hope she releases it :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know where else to post this comment but your header is like the bomb.com and I'd like to stare at it for hours if you'd let me lmfao! I never told anyone this but I wanted to be a mermaid when I was younger and now I'm majoring in marine biology or biology just to work near and in the ocean. Love the sea and I have great respect to the ocean animals. If you love mermaids, you should totally watch H20: Just Add Water. I'm obsessed lmfao! OKay Okay back to the post. I'm so into the fantasy genre lately and these are some great reads!

    Hope we become great blogger friends :D!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol go right ahead! I also wished to be a mermaid when I was little. I would go in the pool and pretend to be one :) Also I have watched H2o. I really loved it so I'm glad it's on Netflix!!

      Delete
  5. Ahh so many awesome books to look forward to in 2016!! I better start saving up my money because I just KNOW I'm going to be spending a whole lot of time in the bookstore come next year. LOL.

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! 2016 is going to be the year my wallet gets emptied out :O

      Delete
  6. I am dying to read Blackhearts! I love the whole concept of pirates and also the fact that it re imagines the life of a famous fictional figure. I love it when books do that! Plus the author is also super cool and nice from what I've seen in twitter!
    And, dude, 2016 is going to be an amazing year for books, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Out of all the 2016 books, Blackhearts is like my number one most anticipated book! And the author is very cool. I love chatting with her :)

      Delete
  7. All of these look amazing!
    2016 will probably be the year I go broke...
    So many great debuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just added a lot of these books to my TBR as well! They all look so good! 2016 is going to be an excellent year for book releases! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, yes!! There's so many I want but I know that it's impossible to get to all of them :'(

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...