Sunday, August 16, 2015

REVIEW: The Assassin and The Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin and The Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

Publication Date: January 13, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Series: Throne Of Glass, # 0.1

Add To Goodreads

A Throne of Glass novella. 
On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.


   Being a fan of the Throne Of Glass series, I had to pick up the novellas as well!! It's a necessity! And I've always been curious on what Celaena's life was before the first book in the series.

   When Celaena is sent on a mission to collect debt that they are owed. But then it turns out that what she thought she was there to collect turned out to be something else. And she's not willing to go through with it. But it could cost her, her life. And she's also been paired up with fellow assassin, Sam, who she despises!

   Celaena is a sixteen year old orphan-assassin under the care of The Assassin's Guild. She is the best of the best. And she's a bit arrogant and a bit spoiled. She does have a conscience on her which I love. But I think I love her more in Throne Of Glass.

   The pacing was a bit slow and it wasn't really pulling me in but the deeper I got into it, the more I started to like the story. It's also such a quick read. I grew to love Sam and his interactions with Celaena. And there might have been something between them. It felt like a hate relationship but then, by the end, there's a hint that their feelings are becoming more than hate. I have a feeling that we might see their relationship evolve in the sequel novellas, which I'm super excited to see.

   Overall, The Assassin and The Pirate Lord was an amazing addition to my favorite fantasy series. The characters and the story definitely grow on you. I'm really looking forward to reading the next novella. And everyone that has read Throne Of Glass should undoubtedly pick this up!


8 comments:

  1. I love how these novellas are little snatches and explanations to details mentioned in the Throne of Glass books. It's so awesome!! I'm glad you enjoyed this one :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the novellas and Sam. I heard something happens in the last one :/

      Delete
  2. I definitely loved her better, too, in Throne of Glass! Her attitude here wasn't really that friendly (well, less friendly and less kick-ass in ToG anyway) but goddamn, I loooved Sam. I can't wait to see what you'll think of the next novellas... your heart is going to burst!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like seeing how far she's come and how she was before even though she was a bit vicious here. And I almost thought that I would end up hating Sam but he's so swoony!

      Delete
  3. I've read the collection of novellas consecutively and pretty much enjoyed all of them- mostly because I adore Celaena's bad-ass attitude and loved getting to know Sam! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the novellas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so badass and her love for herself makes me laugh. I can't wait to read the rest of the novellas because I hear something devastating happens in the last one and I think I already know what it is :O

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing about this book everywhere, I really think that I should read the series one lf these days !
    Lovely review :)

    New follower on bloglovin', your blog is really pretty ^^

    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the first novella of the Throne Of Glass series which is amazing and I highly recommend it!!

      Also thank you. I'm glad you love it! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...