Monday, October 5, 2015

2016 Books I'm Excited For: Contemporary/Historical Edition!

   If you guys don't remember, I did a similar post to this one except that I featured fantasy books. This time I'm showing you all the 2016 contemporary and two historical fiction books that I can't wait for.
   I'm going to be honest... I really read much of Contemporary. I've always been such a goober for fantasy. But there are some damn interesting books coming out next year. And they all have beautiful covers!!

Warning: There will be fangirling, rambling, and me making predictions!

Take The Fall by Emily Hainsworth 

(Not a debut but I couldn't leave it out!)
"Fear grips the residents of Hidden Falls the night Sonia Feldman and her best friend, Gretchen Meyer, are attacked in the woods."
   I'm such a sucker for mystery and thriller type books and this one has my name written all over it!! I really enjoyed Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout which has a very similar plot so I think I'll really love this.

   I wasn't too sure about it until I read the summary. That's when I knew that I had to have it! I love books that makes suspect everybody and it looks like Take The Fall will do just that.

   Right now, I'm thinking that the main character hated her "best friend." She probably had something to do with the "attack." But I'm sure the author wouldn't make it that obvious.


A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann 

"Five gifted teenagers are selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris."
   GORGEOUS COVER!! It was giving me the vibes that it would be about a jewel thief for some reason. But now I'm thinking "an underground hunger games," which makes me even more pumped up since I'm a huge fan of The Hunger Games.

   I'm dying to know what this so called accident mentioned in the summary is!! As well as what's lurking in the underground palace. It's just so mysterious and I really enjoy that feeling of knowing nothing.


The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin

"In the tradition of Sarah Dessen, this powerful debut novel is a compelling portrait of a young girl coping with her mother’s cancer as she figures out how to learn from—and fix—her past. "
   The cover is absolutely G E N I U S !! I love how the four post-it looking-notes are popping out  and the shades of green are pretty. It just works for me. And the summary makes it even better.

   I'm such a sucker for books that make the main character suffer before the story starts. I can't wait to see how the main character gets back with her ex friend and see if she can even save it. But from the sound of it, it could become a romance. Or maybe her former friend is with someone and jealousy begins that she has to kick butt her rival.

   My imagination is crazy!! But I love nothing more than drama and romance in contemporaries.
 

A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

"The last thing sixteen-year-old Jamie Watson–writer and great-great-grandson of the John Watson–wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father."
   I've never actually read or watched anything that has to do with Sherlock Holmes (don't hate me). But I love crime novels and this looks like it's going deliver that.

   I love that the potential romance couple are rivals because I love nothing more than seeing love-hate relationships. It just makes things more fun!

   And that cover is so unlike anything I've ever seen!! I'd like to frame it (pun not intended). It just makes me want the book more!


Underwater by Marisa Reichardt

"Morgan didn’t mean to do anything wrong that day."
   I usually stay away from books that deal with mental health issues. There's just something about this novel that I can't stay away from!! I want to know so badly what the first line means!!! Probably a mistake the main character made and the book is about her redeeming herself. I'm honestly preparing myself for heartbreak but I'm ready for it!

   I also really love how there's just a random sofa with our protagonist in deep water. I think it's very funny but unique as I love underwater covers. I've also seen the UK cover and WOW is so gorgeous. I think I might love it even more than the US cover.


The Girl Who Fell by Shannon Parker

"His obsession.Her fall."
   From the sound of the summary, it sounds like this will be about some abusive relationship, which I can't wait to read about it. I haven't actually read much about abusive relationships in YA books so I  can't wait to see how this plays out if I'm right about what it's about. I could be wrong. But, nonetheless, I can't wait for this to come out. I just hope that the MC is able to find happiness if she gets abused.

   It's probably one of my most anticipated debuts of 2016!! Also that cover is very simple but P R E T T Y!!


The Last Place on Earth by Carol Snow

"Daisy and Henry are best friends, and they know all each other's secrets.  Or, so Daisy thinks, until she wakes up one morning to find that Henry and his family have disappeared without a trace."
   The summary reminded me of Paper Towns, which is weird since I haven't read that book yet (only saw the movie trailer). But I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens to Henry and his family.

   This line, "clues that call into question everything Daisy believes she knows about her friend," makes me think of supernatural activity. My crazy mind!! But it could be something like immigration problems or I don't know what.

   I'm most likely so far off but that's why I can't wait to read it!!


My Second Life by Faye Bird 

"A pacy pageturner that asks: Can you be held responsible now for something you did in a previous life?"
   I've always been such a fan of the concept of reincarnations and so when I read the summary, I was so ready for it!! Sign me up now!!! I need this bad boy in my life.

   I can't wait to see how the plot will play out. The idea of it just sounds very cool especially since I've never really read anything like this.

   It talks about how the protagonist misses her previous family. It makes me think she's not happy with her current life. That line just has heartbreak written all over it!!


Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw

"Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online community of fanfiction writers, world-class nobody at Melville High. Her best (read: only) IRL friends are Avery, a painfully shy and annoyingly attractive bookworm, and Ruth, her pot-smoking, possibly insane seventy-three-year-old neighbor."
   I'm kind of confused by the summary but, somehow, still pulled in.

   From what I can guess, the main character writes fanfiction and they somehow get published to her high school?! I honestly don't know but I'm still excited to read this contemporary because the main characters reminds me of myself since I used to love writing fanfiction.


Stone Field by Christy Lenzi 

"In a small town on the brink of the Civil War, Catrina finds a man making strange patterns in her family’s sorghum crop. He’s mad with fever, naked, and strikingly beautiful."
   This is actually historical fiction but I didn't know where else to include it. And I wanted to show it to you guys because it just sounds AMAZING!! Even the cover is gorgeous. I just want to shout it to the sky how much I love it! I love how there's a picture within a picture!!

   And I love how the heroine falls for someone with no memory. Does that make me weird? I think complications make relationships more interesting.

   The summary says that the story was inspired by Wuthering Heights. I've never read that book. Whoops! I think I own a copy of it. Should I go and read it?


Dreamology by Lucy Keating 

"For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist."
   This book had me with the cover!! It's simple but stunning at the same time.

   I also love how it's a mashup of contemporary and fantasy! The summary kind of reminds me of Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. Both the protagonist love someone they meet in their minds/dreams and then it becomes real. I should read Unspoken since I'm DYING to read this one. Perhaps it will keep me at bay until Dreamology comes out?

   I also have this strong urge to pet the cover even though it hasn't come out yet! I'm such a weirdo!!




Go and check out the 2016 Fantasy Books I'm Excited For!!

What do you think of all these 2016 debuts? Have you heard of them? What are some debuts you're excited for?!





14 comments:

  1. So many wonderful contemporaries releasing next year! A few of these were already on my TBR, but I found a few here that were new to me, so yay! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I'm can't wait to read them all!! And I'm glad I could help you find more amazing titles!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, Dreamology is AMAZING! I laughed, I cried, I may or may not have just laid on my couch hugging my book fro a while. I hope you love it as much as I do. Looking forward to fangirling over it with you.

    I really want to read A Drop of Night, A Study in Charlotte, and Underwater. Hopefully, they live up to our expectations =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you're lucky you got to read Dreamology!! I'm really glad you got to enjoy it and I hope I love it when I get it, too. And yeah, I really hope we love all those books!

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely excited for some of these as well! So many great books will be out this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's defiantly a ton of books I'm super excited for. This year didn't have lots of books I wanted but next year will be the death of me and many readers. Our poor wallets lol.

      Delete
  4. Oh these all look fabulous! I am such a cover girl and these are so pretty. A Study in Charlotte, Dreamology and The Year We Fell Apart are the ones I am especially excited for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really pretty :) Of the ones you mentioned, I think Dreamology is the one I'm more excited for. I just think the concept is very unique and I haven't read anything like it :D

      Delete
  5. Very excited for The Year We Fell Apart and Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here too. Great contemporary/historical picks. Can't wait for all the awesome books that are going to be released in 2016! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are definitely some NICE looking books girl! You have an eye for picking good books it looks like! <3 (And I noticed the books you're currently reading. Are you really reading 4 at one time?) You. You are my hero. Teehee I hope you enjoy all of these books and that they're all four or five stars for you! I look forward to your review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, I've heard Dreamology is super good. I'll have to look into some of the other books! They look exciting!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many wonderful debuts coming out and AHHH, I am so excited! Especially for THE GIRL WHO FELL by Shannon Parker! That looks sooo good! Awesome picks, Karina! :)

    Talina @ Sassy & Dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a few of these books around on Twitter but didn't know anything about them! This is a good post of people like me who don't normally read contemporary. I need advice on where to start and what to read. I read a few contemporaries that I LOVED this year (The Revenge Playbook and Simon). I should try mixing them in more. Great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all the BEAUTIFUL covers! I've seen 'A Study In Charlotte' floating around the Twittersphere a couple of times and I'm kinda hyped about it. Definitely one for the TBR!! Great post and I'll have to check some of your other picks out :)

    Also, I am currently running two Giveaways! Click here for Hanna Peach’s ‘Girl Wife Prisoner’, and here for Garrett Calcaterra’s ‘Dreamwielder’! Good luck!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...