Saturday, October 18, 2014

{ARC Review} Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Release Date: October 21, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: ARC, 446 pages
Series: The Dark Elements, #2

Summary from Goodreads:


Every touch has its price 
Layla Shaw is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life—no easy task for a seventeen-year-old who’s pretty sure things can’t get worse. Her impossibly gorgeous best friend, Zayne, is forever off-limits thanks to the mysterious powers of her soul-stealing kiss. The Warden clan that has always protected her is suddenly keeping dangerous secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the wickedly hot demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.
But sometimes rock bottom is only the beginning. Because suddenly Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a tantalizing taste of what has always been forbidden. Then, when she least expects it, Roth returns, bringing news that could change her world forever. She’s finally getting what she always wanted, but with hell literally breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price may be higher than Layla is willing to pay…



My Review:

   This is out of this world. It blew my mind and shattered my heart (In a good way). It was just that good. I honestly couldn't get enough of it. And I confess that I read it in one sitting. When I saw that I won the arc, I almost had a heart attack. But then I had a double attack when it came in my mail. 
"Are you... seriously growling at me, Stony?"

   Stone Cold Touch was one of my most anticipated novels of 2014. And so far, it's been the best one. It is not a disappointment, it is a dream come true. I was honestly pulled into the story right from the start and it didn't let me go. Not for one second.

   It picks up two weeks after the events of White Hot Kiss that shattered our hearts and Layla's. We see her struggling to get back to her old routine. She is left heart broken. It's not a spoiler to say that we all knew that our prince of hell would be back. When he made he's reappearance I jumped for joy. But then his changed attitude made me question his intentions. It actually made me switch sides to Team Zayne.

"Yes. We. You and I. Two peas in a--"



    I completely loved seeing Zayne more in this book. It's like we got to see his side of the story in a way. Because Roth was more in the first novel, but this had more Zayne. Layla got more scenes with Zayne this time around. They were quite steamy and satisfactory. Quite mind-blowing. 

   Things are taken up a next level when Layla's powers seem to be changing and growing. It makes her look like a high level demon and it makes Abott more wary and suspicious of her; especially when a warden disappears, a warden is thrown down the stairs (while Layla was alone with him), and a window shatters. They all put Layla responsible for the things happening. Her clan seems to be keeping things from Layla and she doesn't know what to do because no one seems to believe her.

"I doubt that's the only reason Zayne's not happy about Roth being at school with you."

  Above all the shenanigans going on, she is caught dead between the demon prince that understands her like no other and the forbidden warden she's crushed on forever. But given a rare opportune, the impossible becomes possible. But the story takes a turn for the worst. We are left hanging with a cliffhanger that kills me. It brought out the feels. It made me so emotional. I wished somebody warned me that I would need tissues.

"You think you're going to have fun without me? Think again. We're going to have a threesome."

   The characters we were introduced with continue to grow and amaze me even more. Layla continues to be such a baddass chick. But my heart broke for her at the end. The things that she had to endure broke my heart. Zayne is a such a heartthrob-sexy warden with such passion. He really won my heart in this book. Then we have our lovable bad boy demon, Roth. He said some things that made me want to smack him. I was like... "What is the matter with him?!?!" I wanted to throttle him. I switched from Team Roth to Team Zayne and back to Team Roth. It's confusing. They are very well developed and lovable and it makes it so hard to choose who I want Layla to be with.

   Honestly, this love triangle is unlike no other. I know they can get so annoying and are overused a lot. But this is one of the very good ones. You won't know who you love more. In all honesty, I don't care who Layla ends up with because I love both Zayne and Roth. But I know my heart will be broken for the one that doesn't get her. 

"So you're a demon and a stalker. Awesome."

   Stone Cold Touch was such a well written book filled with action packed scenes and heart stopping romance. It all left me reeling for more. I honestly can't wait for the last book to come out. It's going to be the longest wait yet. But it's going to be worth it. And choosing between Zayne and Roth is more complicated.
"I want you so badly it's like hunger that gnaws at me endlessly. It doesn't go away."
   
  I'd recommend it to anyone whose into paranormal romance and demons, then you can stop looking because this is it!! It has a the perfect elements that will make you fall in love and come back for more. It's so A L L U R I N G! 5 Stars does not give this book justice, it deserves a special rating!!



5 Stars: Blew My Mind!!

*The quotes I added in are subject to change as it is an advance reader's copy.*

2 comments:

  1. AHHH GIMME IT NOW! It sounds amazing just like I imagined it would! A little apprehensive about what's going on with Roth tho ;( Does he become a jerk or something? Surely there's a reason; I love Roth and I'd be so sad if he had a complete attitude adjustment.....that being said, I can't wait to see more of Zayne! I absolutely loved him in Bitter Sweet Love but was disappointed in White Hot Kiss so hopefully he'll redeem himself and show himself worthy of being a contender in the love triangle ;)
    –B @Fangirling Misses

    ReplyDelete
  2. demons.. i love demons, they make better lovers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...