Thursday, June 11, 2015

ARC REVIEW: The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Print ARC, 360 pages
Genre: Young Adult, 
Series: The Witch Hunter, #1

Add To Goodreads

The magic and suspense of Graceling meet the political intrigue and unrest of Game of Thrones in this riveting fantasy debut. 
Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear. 
Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake. 
Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.
But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate. 
Virginia Boecker weaves a riveting tale of magic, betrayal, and sacrifice in this unforgettable fantasy debut.
   *Thanks to Little Brown Books for Young Readers for providing me with a review copy in an exchange for an honest review.*


Elizabeth Grace, a sixteen year old girl, has grown up believing that magic is completely terrible. And anyone that uses it must be stopped. Ever since a plague broke out that killed her parents, magic has been forbidden. And so the witch hunters were formed to hunt down any witches and wizards who disobey the laws. But when Elizabeth is discovered of possessing witch herbs, she is sentenced to burn. When she is thrown in prison, she becomes gravely ill and the person she least expected to save her is none other than the most powerful wizard.

   When she's taken under his care, the things she learns are completely unexpected. She questions her beliefs she's been taught all her life. She soon learns that the wizard need her help in searching for something, which I'm not going to say what it is because it would sort of spoil the story.

   I really enjoyed learning about how Elizabeth and Caleb met and how their friendship started. It was touching how Caleb helped her when the plague struck her parents. Even the feelings that started forming between them were one of the most entertaining parts to read about. That's why I was a bit shocked at Caleb's actions in the end. I just wanted to punch for not being so understanding and for being a bastard. I thought at first he was going to be better than that.

   When I finished The Witch Hunter, I honestly didn't know what to think. I had very mixed feelings. But I think the negative overpower the positive. I was honestly not so invested in the story or the world that Virginia Boecker created. I did enjoy the characters though. In fact, I like them that much to be curious for the sequel. So I really hope the world building develops even more. I just could't keep up with it. And I had a hard time visualizing the world.

   The opening chapters completely hooked me so I think that lots of people enjoy it better than I did. But I felt that the pace kept going slower and slower that I put the books down numerous of times. And I wasn't really motivated to continue or pick it up again.

   Overall, The Witch Hunter was probably not the best choice for me. But I think that readers who enjoy witchy novels or novels about magic will appreciate it even more. I did love seeing the romance between Elizabeth and the other character that I won't name because it's sort of unexpected. And the humor was much enjoyed!

2 Hearts: It Was Okay

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I like the premise (love stories about witches), but will probably be skipping this one. It doesn't seem bad or anything, but it sounds like one of the "meh" books, and I hate those even more than the ones that totally suck. Thanks for your honest review hon! :)

    Evie @Bookish Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That's exactly how it was for me. And whenever I finish a book, I ask myself if I would reread this book. And in the end, it's going to end up as one of those that's not memorable. The good books are what will always be stuck with me.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...