Saturday, June 13, 2015

REVIEW: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Atria Books
Format: Paperback, 416 pages
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Chick Lit
Series: Hopeless, #1

Add To Goodreads

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…  
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay
buried.  
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

   Wow I started reading this novel a long, long time ago that I wasn't even sure I had read it all. But as I made my way through the first couple of pages, my brain started to remember. And I have no clue as to why I never finished it in the first place. I think I may have not liked it back then. But if that was the case, it certainly isn't this time around.

   I've been in such a reading slump this year. It's just been on and off and on, depending on the books I've read. So I have to thank Colleen Hoover for making it go away. I got deep into the story that I had a hard time putting it down. In fact, I started reading it at night and I fell asleep around 1a.m. Not because I wanted to stop, but because I was too exhausted. But I read almost half of the book! It was just too addicting and mysterious that it kept me flipping the pages. By the next day, I had completely devoured the whole thing.

   I wanted to smack myself for not picking it up ages ago because I've been staring at it for weeks. And I sort of had this feeling that I somehow knew it would kill my reading slump.

   Everyone always says how Hopeless is their favorite Colleen Hoover book and there was a lot of hype surrounding it. So, generally, that had me nervous. But it also left me very curious. I only knew hat it had lots of feels from what I've heard. And that it was New Adult. And I've only read Colleen Hoover's Slammed series, which I loved.

   I actually didn't get the vibes that it was NA, it read more as mature YA. I mean the characters are in high school. But because of the dark content, it's labeled as NA.

   In the very beginning, I was able to tell right away that something bad had happened to our main character, Sky, who has been labeled as a whore by her classmates for associating with Six. Then she meets Dean who she's attracted to but she starts having these feelings. And he somehow feels familiar. She also starts getting memories in her dreams. And they are dark and disturbing.

   My favorite thing about the whole thing would definitely have to be the writing because like I said, I got sucked into the story. I read it in two days because I just couldn't put it down.

   Although I couldn't relate to Sky, I did get the feels for everything she was put through. I thought she was strong and reactions were very normal to me. I couldn't imagine handling it any better than she did so I really applaud her.

   Dean Holder wasn't exactly how I imagined him to be. I kind of expected a bad boy or some player. And he turned out to be really sweet to our MC. But at one point, I did want to smack him. I also didn't fall completely "in love" with him. He was swoony sometimes but that's about it. Maybe when I read the book in his perspective I'll be able to understand him more.

   I thought that what had happened to Sky was a bit predictable. But we get like two plot twists I didn't see coming.

   I do think that the whole falling action was bit too dramatic for me. And what Sky decided to do with Dean was unrealistic. I don't think anyone in her shoes would have been too comfortable to go through with her decision. The romance was not something I was completely head over heels over. I just have mixed feelings over it because I like it but not as much as I wished I had.

   Overall, Hopeless is one of the most entertaining novels I've read in 2015. It was full of surprises and I wished I had read this a long time ago. Colleen Hoover continues to amaze me with her writing, which is why I can't wait to dive into another book of hers!

4 Hearts: A Great Read!

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read Coleen Hoover for the longest time. Hopefully I can get to her soon, but I am not sure which of her books to start with. I'm glad you liked this book of hers.
    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Her contemporaries are awesome! Though I actually love her Slammed series more than this one. So I recommend starting with that :)

      Delete
  2. Visiting from Evies link up! I have been wanting to get into Coleen hoover for ages this looks like a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! Her writing is absolutely beautiful!! I've only read Hopeless and her Slammed series but I'm also going to read her other books :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...