Tuesday, March 3, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker

Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker

Release Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Atria Books
Format: E-ARC, 384 pages
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Series: Burying Water, #2
Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

Add To Goodreads

Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it-the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set-one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game-at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington D.C. major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the west coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to. 

*I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review.*


   I was a bit worried about reading this one because I didn't like the first book in the series as much. But when I had read the synopsis of Becoming Rain, it drew me in and I really wanted to give it a chance.

   Clara Bertelli is an undercover officer and she has just been given a case that could be her big break into her career. She goes undercover as Rain and has been given the task of exposing Luke Boone for being involved in his uncle's car theft ring. And as she gets to know him. She realizes that he's not all that bad as she realized and notices how kind and gentle he really is. Throughout the novel, she questions whether he could really be a criminal. Then feelings start to form between the two and it gets even more complicated.

   I definitely have to say that this was such a major improvement over the first novel in the series. I thought it was more in depth and there was some research that was put into this. Because Rain is an undercover agent and it was really realistic to me. But then I didn't really like how it all ended. Sappy endings aren't really my favorite. It just leaves you wondering what is going to happen in the future between Rain and Luke.

   I very much enjoyed the characters. I felt emotionally attached to them. And through the falling action, I did get the feels for them both when everything was starting to be revealed. When Luke realizes who Clara really is, it just broke my heart. But again, he is at fault for getting in involved in the car theft business with his uncle. But he is such a sweetheart.

   I didn't expect to see the characters from the first book. And I quite enjoyed seeing what's become of them. I really hope we see Clara and Luke in the next book.

   I would recommend this just because I felt that I probably wasn't in the right mood for this. And if I had been, I think I would have enjoyed this more. I still liked the premise of it and I think other readers will really enjoy the romance as well. Especially that sexy window scene. Luke is such a pervert for looking but Clara did leave her curtains open. It was quite hilarious!! But you just have to read for yourself ;)


3 Hearts: I Liked It

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this one was better than the first one. I have Burying Water on my hold list at the library, and I've been hearing a lot of back and forth on it so I'll be curious to see how I like it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still liked the first book but the ending just felt rushed. And this one felt like it had a stronger edge to it :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...