Friday, March 27, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry

Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry

Release Date: May 26, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: ARC, 481 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Series: Thunder Road, #1
Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository


Add To Goodreads

Seventeen-year-old Emily likes her life the way it is: doting parents, good friends, good school in a safe neighborhood. Sure, she's curious about her biological father—the one who chose life in a motorcycle club, the Reign of Terror, over being a parent—but that doesn't mean she wants to be a part of his world. But when a reluctant visit turns to an extended summer vacation among relatives she never knew she had, one thing becomes clear: nothing is what it seems. Not the club, not her secret-keeping father and not Oz, a guy with suck-me-in blue eyes who can help her understand them both.  
Oz wants one thing: to join the Reign of Terror. They're the good guys. They protect people. They're…family. And while Emily—the gorgeous and sheltered daughter of the club's most respected member—is in town, he's gonna prove it to her. So when her father asks him to keep her safe from a rival club with a score to settle, Oz knows it's his shot at his dream. What he doesn't count on is that Emily just might turn that dream upside down.  
No one wants them to be together. But sometimes the right person is the one you least expect, and the road you fear the most is the one that leads you home.

 *I received an advanced readers copy from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review.*


   There's a lot that is dealt with. There is loyalty, respect, brotherhood, and watching out for one another. But not a lot of people see the motorcycle club as that way. They are seen as thugs, a gang, and dangerous.

   Seventeen year old Emily has the perfect life. She has her loving parents, loyal friends, and living in a safe neighborhood. But she's lived her life long enough in that bubble. And she's lived her life believing her biological father abandoned her and her mother to be a part of some motorcycle club. When he gets in contact with her, she finds herself wanting to know more about him.

   I remember when I first read the summary, it didn't really do much for me. Like the concept of motorcycle gangs didn't really connect with me. But for some reason, I had to pick it up at ALA Midwinter. I mean, it is from Katie McGarry. She's the queen of writing contemporary books. I loved her Pushing The Limits series. And I think Nowhere But Here may have become my favorite of hers now.

   Surprisingly, I found myself loving it the further I got. And by the end of it all, it gave me feels. I got attached to the characters. For that reason, I'm glad that there is a second book. But like her other series, it's going to be a companion novel with another character. I was really hoping it would be about Chevy. But that's okay, I love Razor as well.

   You know the thing about Katie's books is that she is so good at writing main characters, but she also has the side characters who have their stories to tell.

   I didn't really relate much to Emily, but I still liked her. The way she was able to handle things. And when she used her girl power with Oz was hilarious. I found her reactions to seeing her biological family completely normal. I'm pretty sure if I was her, I would have done the same. I thought her family were completely wacko.

   Then we have Oz. His tanned skin and delicious abs just got me wrapped up around him. He can be an asshole but sweet as well. And his whole life, he's dreamed of getting into that motorcycle club. But everything changes when he meets Emily. The only thing that I disliked about him was his name. I kept thinking about The Wizard of Oz. I couldn't imagine someone named Oz as attractive. But guess what?! As I got more into it, I didn't really care anymore because he enamored me.

   The romance was so efflorescence. Definitely not an instant love. It's quite the opposite. They hated each other. Oz thought Emily was ruining his chance to get into the club. And Emily thought Oz was just bad for the lifestyle he wanted. Their bickering was one of my favorite parts to read about. And you could totally see the attraction there. It was ineffable. It just lightens up the mood.

   There were so many secrets being harbored. That by the end, it was like they were being released into the wind to carry them on. It was quite shocking and saddening. And my heart was crushed because of Olivia!!

   The ending is quite a shocker and you won't see it coming at all. Not predictable whatsoever. It was a bit sad because one of the characters is diagnosed with cancer and I can relate to that because I lost both of my grandfathers to cancer. It was heartbreaking. And what made it more bittersweet was the letter written at the end.

    Overall, Nowhere But Here is one of my favorite contemporary books now. It's really touching, nostalgic. There's so many humorous lines. The characters will just amuse you to no end. And trust me, they were kind of crazy. But it's the good kind. And it will definitely make you want to pick up the next book so I highly recommend this to all contemporary lovers!!



4 Hearts: A Great Read!

4 comments:

  1. I have been dying to read this. and the fact that you liked it more and more as you went on is a big thumbs up for me.

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it just kept getting better and bigger!! I was very pleased by the end results. It's another well done Katie McGarry contemporary novel :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this one! But then again, I always love McGarry's books lol. Oz enamored me too, and I loved the romance between him and Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And I freaking loved the bickering between them and how it turned into more!! :O

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...