Monday, March 30, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Invaded by Melissa Landers

Invaded by Melissa Landers

Publication Date: February 3, 2015
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Format: Print ARC, 356 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Romance
Series: Alienated, #2

Add To Goodreads:

The romantic sequel to Alienated takes long-distance relationships to a new level as Cara and Aelyx long for each other from opposite ends of the universe...until a threat to both their worlds reunites them.  
Cara always knew life on planet L’eihr would be an adjustment. With Aelyx, her L’eihr boyfriend, back on Earth, working to mend the broken alliance between their two planets, Cara is left to fend for herself at a new school, surrounded by hostile alien clones. Even the weird dorm pet hates her.
Things look up when Cara is appointed as human representative to a panel preparing for a human colony on L’eihr. A society melding their two cultures is a place where Cara and Aelyx could one day make a life together. But with L’eihr leaders balking at granting even the most basic freedoms, Cara begins to wonder if she could ever be happy on this planet, even with Aelyx by her side. 
Meanwhile, on Earth, Aelyx, finds himself thrown into a full-scale PR campaign to improve human-L’eihr relations. Humans don’t know that their very survival depends on this alliance: only Aelyx’s people have the technology to fix the deadly contamination in the global water supply that human governments are hiding. Yet despite their upper hand, the leaders of his world suddenly seem desperate to get humans on their side, and hardly bat an eye at extremists’ multiple attempts on Aelyx’s life. 
The Way clearly needs humans’ help . . . but with what? And what will they ask for in return?

* I received an advance reading copy from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review.*


   This is probably one of my disappointments of this year so far. I was really excited to read the second book in this series because I liked the first book. But I just didn't connect with it as much as I did with the first.

   I didn't like where the plot was heading. It takes off immediately where the first book ended. Aelyx is departing for Earth and he has been tasked with restoring the alliance that has been torn because of his actions in the previous book. Cara is going to L'eihr. Both of them go through hardships.

   Aelyx deals with getting a bunch of fan-mail that includes underwears from admirers and constant attacks while Cara is being prepared to become a citizen to stay on L'eihr and people trying get her framed.

   I was wary from the get go because the main characters were going to be separated. It takes a long distance relationship to a whole new level. And this was probably the book's downfall for me. I had hoped that they would be reunited soon. And it just dragged. I was really looking forward to seeing them back together and when it happened, the book was nearing it's ending. What I loved about about the first book was their interactions with each other. And that's what I was most looking forward to in Invaded!

   Also the ending was just too predictable for me. I knew things would be okay when things were going a bit crazy.

   I did enjoy seeing Syrine connect with the human, David. Their relationship is probably what kept my attention. Also when Vero, the alien pet, kept peeing on Cara's pillow because he didn't like her was hilarious.

Something else I felt lacking was the way plane L'eihr was. It felt very similar to Earth and yet it's supposed to be alien. It just felt underdeveloped to me. The only thing that did interest me is the way they initiate citizens.

   Maybe I had my expectations too high. I mean I was super excited when I found my copy at the ALA Midwinter conference. But when I started reading it, it just wasn't keeping my attention. And if there was to be a third book, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't read it.

   I personally wouldn't recommend it just because I think it wasn't a satisfactory sequel. Though I did love the cover. I loved the first book cover and this one is no different. And that is something that will surely attract readers.



2 Hearts: It Was Okay

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one didn't live up to your expectations.

    Great Review though!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just couldn't connect with it as much as the first on, sadly :/

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...