Saturday, July 4, 2015

My Letter To Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Publication Date: July 26th 2005
Publisher: Dell Publishing Company
Format: Paperback, 627 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance
Series: Outlander, #1
Pre-order Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

Add To Goodreads

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Dear Outlander,

   I remember that I purchased you back in 2014. I started reading you in November 5th. But we've just had an off and on relationship! I kept clicking "to read" on your Goodreads page and then "currently reading." It's just not working and it's not because of the story. It's because you are so incredibly long and your font is so tiny!! It's just too much for me right now. I really want to finish you but you are turning out to be such a big commitment that I don't need right now. Especially since I want to lower my TBR and I don't have time for you.

   If it makes you feel any better, I love the show based on you. It's so good and it's so true to your story without the long details you have, which is why I may decide to continue to read you. But that will happen later on.

  I also feel like the characters are too old for me to connect. I do love Jamie and Claire. They're such an awesome OTP. But I feel like it's hard for me to connect since I'm still a bit young. It's crazy that some people younger than me have actually read this.

   And it probably isn't a good idea that I have the fourth, fifth, and sixth books in the series. But they were gifted to me so I didn't waste my money.

   Maybe when the show comes back I may decide to give you another try. But for now you will be shelved in the attic where my other less wanted books are.

                                                                                                     Sincerely,   






2 comments:

  1. I actually read Outlander a while ago and the book ended up not working out for me. At all! But I know people who had similar luck with the book but went on to love the show!

    I don't know enough about the show to actually say anything concrete but I do think there are cases where the shows/movies are better than the actual book? Maybe the changes that are made help or maybe the characters are simply more likable!

    But in any case, I hope that whenever you get around to reading/finishing the book, you'll enjoy it! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone. I just felt like the book had way to many details and would have preferred to read about the romance alone. That's why I favored the show more. I could appreciate the romance and action combined without being overwhelmed by the details.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...