Wednesday, July 15, 2015

REVIEW: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


Publication Date: August 5, 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Add To Goodreads

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her. 
Never ask about the past.Don’t expect a future. 
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.  
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered. 
Love gets ugly.


   This might be one of my favorite books I've read this year. It's genuinely a sweet contemporary romance with lots of feels!!

  It starts off with the main character, Tate, moving into her brother's apartment. She finds a man named Miles, a friend of her brother, and he's passed-out drunk outside the apartment. She helps him inside and he starts crying. That's when Tate realizes something awful must have happened in his past. And she feels remorse for him.

   As the story gets deeper, Tate and Miles get to know each other. Attraction starts to form but neither of them are looking for a relationship or love so they agree to use each other for their pleasure only. Miles warns Tate not to expect anything or for their arrangement to go beyond what it is. But then her attraction turns into something more.

   The story is a bit complex and it's hard to explain but trust me when I say that it's probably one of my most favorite contemporaries I've ever read. That's coming from someone that always prefers Fantasies.

   I was really skeptical because the first chapters weren't pulling me in. But I'm glad that I stuck to it because Ugly Love turned out to be such a beautiful love story. And Mile's past had me tearing up. It made me so emotional. I thought the way Colleen Hoover showed his past was brilliant because the chapters alternated with Tate's p.o.v in the present to Miles' p.o.v in the past. And I usually don't enjoy when books are from more than one perspective. In this case, it made the story stronger and deeper. Every time I finished a chapter with Tate, I'd immediately start Mile's chapter because they leave you on a cliffhanger. And it makes it really hard to put the book down!

   I loved how Tate was such a strong minded character. She won't let anyone stomp or boss her around. She's focused on school and training to be a nurse so she doesn't want a relationship. But she's not afraid to admit how she feels. She's very respectful in shooting down that bastard that was married.

   Miles was probably my favorite character from the story. It's apparent from the start that he's had a terrible past. That made me very intrigued in his character and I wanted to know his story. Even though he was closed off, I loved how he let Tate into his life which he doesn't really really allow other people. He was a very lovable character and I wanted to comfort him. But he's also such a gentleman and he made swoon throughout the book!

   It was such a reversal in the typical women-needs-saving books I've read. But it was the man in need of saving for this novel. And there's probably not a lot of books with those situations. Or at least, I haven't found them at all.

   Colleen Hoover never fails to surprise me with her writing. It's always down-right amazing! It just makes you love the story even more. I never thought it was dragging.

   I remember so much hype surrounding this new adult story and I didn't get what the fuzz was about. But that was before I even read the synopsis. Then I watched the mini-movie teaser and it was so catching. And I'm kicking myself for not reading this sooner because I read it in like two days.

   I've also come to the conclusion that Colleen Hoover is a life-saver when it comes to writing books that cure reading slumps.

   Overall, Ugly Love is such a a brilliant contemporary romance that leaves you wanting for more. It's a bit dark and sad at times but it was beautiful and realistic. And the ending is just perfect!! It's most likely going to be in my Top 10 books of the year list. This is one of those books that just stays with you for a long time!


5 Stars: Out Of This World!!

4 comments:

  1. I love this book! Such an emotional read and had an ugly crying on it.
    Awesome review!

    ~ Beatrice @ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It turned out to be so much better than I expected. I was super attached to the characters :D

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with what you said! Usually , it takes a fantasy series to surprise me as much as Miles' backstory did but this book proved me wrong. I loved the ending , especially the scene with Rachel. I was crying so much! Great review! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even expect that scene with her. It took me with surprise and I almost cried too!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...