Friday, September 19, 2014

Mini Review: The Rising by Terra Harmony

The Rising by Terra Harmony

Publication Date: November 7, 2013
Publisher: Patchwork Press
Source: Netgalley

Summary from Goodreads:


Fifteen-year-old Serena is the youngest member of a dying race. The increasing acidity of the ocean is destroying her home, slowly eating away at the once thriving underwater landscape. But since the night of Serena’s birth, it is an outside force that most threatens their dwindling population. Werewolves, who once served as protectors for mermaids in the Kingdom of the Undine, now seek to eliminate all who dwell in the ocean — and Serena is about to find herself right in the middle of the deadly conflict.

Given the title of Werewolf Liaison, Serena is

determined to make things right for her people. When she ventures to The Dry, she meets Liam, the werewolf with hazel eyes, and her whole world gets turned upside down. As Serena discovers the real history between werewolves and mermaids, she is left wondering who her true enemies are.


  My Review:

   When I first stumbled upon this book, I thought it had a very unique and intriguing concept. And I had yet to read a book about mermaids. So naturally I was curious enough to give it a shot. I thought mermaids and werewolves mixed together was an odd combination. But what the hay, I've read about aliens so things couldn't get any weirder.

   But in all honestly, I didn't really connect with the book as much. I found myself lost and confused at times. The meeting between Serena and Liam took way too long which was what I've been waiting for the whole time. It kind of just bored along the way

   I really had high expectations for this book and maybe that's my fault. It wasn't as big as I had hoped it would be. It really had the potential to be such a great story. The cover and summary itself will drawn readers in. But it just wasn't for me. But I feel like there are other readers who will like the storyline and they'll love it. So I'd recommend it to fantasy lovers out there that like mythical creatures.

2 Stars: It was okay :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...