Monday, September 8, 2014

Review: Reborn by C.C. Hunter

Reborn by C.C. Hunter

Date Published: 05/20/14
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: Shadow Falls: After Dark, #1

Summary from Goodreads:

Return to the beloved world of Shadow Falls, a camp that teaches supernatural teens to harness their powers—and where a vampire named Della will discover who she’s meant to be.

For Della Tsang, Shadow Falls isn't just a camp: it's home. As a vampire who's never fit in with her human family, it's the one place she can truly be herself. But when a mysterious new guy arrives at camp, Della’s whole world is thrown into turmoil. Chase is a vampire with secrets, who knows more than he’s telling. But the more time she spends with him, the more she begins to trust this attractive

stranger—and feel drawn to him. But romance is the last thing she wants—as she keeps telling Steve, the hunky shapeshifter who won’t stop trying to win her heart. And if Della isn't careful, he just might succeed.  When a new case puts everyone she cares about in danger, Della’s determined to do everything she can to save them . . . even if it means teaming up with Steve and Chase, who leave her more confused than ever. With their lives on the line, will Della and her friends survive—with their hearts intact?

My Review:

   After finishing the preceding series, I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard that there was going to be a spin off series. Let me tell you now that if you have not read the Shadow Falls series, then some things may come confusing for you. But other than that, I absolutely loved this book.

   This time, the main protagonist is our favorite baddass vampire chick, Della Tsang. In the Shadow Falls, we see Della working hard to be seen as worthy for the FRU. They are kind of like the FBI but for the supernatural. She wants to partake in the dangerous missions and kick some ass. But she also has uncovers that her father had a twin that died of weird circumstances. It gives her a good reason to believe that he may have been turned into a vampire. And so she begins searching for answers.

   Then we have our shapeshifter hottie, Steve, who we know is attracted to Della. But she's so afraid of getting close to him in fear of being abandoned like her ex and family did to her. We also have a new camper, Chase, who Della is immediately suspicious of. She founds finds him to be strangely odd. She also has a dislike for him because of how quickly Burnett accepted him into the FRU.

   Della also has to worry about a ghost following her around that she can't speak to because vampires don't have the gift to talk to ghosts.

   I wasn't sure whether or not I would like the spin-off just because I was used to Kylie being the narrator. But it pulled in quite quickly. And Della's story is not disappointing at all. It's the complete opposite. I was so happy to see all the old characters return in the new installment back for more adventures.

   I loved seeing Della finally allow Steve to get close. But then she also developed something for the new camper Chase. I have no idea who I want Della to choose. I was lighting green on Steve but then he made one mistake and turned the light to red. I gave the green light to Chase because Della needed someone to cry on and Steve wasn't there. It's so confusing. To make it worse, at the end, a secret connection between Chase and Della is unveiled. It just leaves the book hanging with a cliffhanger.

   Honestly, this book had so much stuff to unveil and twists and secrets. I love where the series is headed. I think this series is going to be a phenomenal from beginning to ending. I cannot wait for the sequel to come out!! If you loved the Shadow Falls series, then you're going to love this!!


4 Stars: A Great Read! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...