Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review: Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Date Published: March 29, 2011
Format: Paperback, 398 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Purchased at Amazon
Series: Shadow Falls, #1
Purchase Links: Amazon / Barnes and NobleBook Depository

Synopsis from Goodreads:


Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls,

vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


My Review:

   I actually don't remember why I picked this book up because it's been so long since I read it for the first time. I read it in 2012 and that's WAY too long. But I know that I don't regret picking it up.

   So imagine going to a camp, only you're surrounded full of people of different supernatural beings. There are vampires, werewolves, fae, witches, warlocks, and shapeshifters. And then we have Kylie...

   Kylie is a sixteen year old girl who gets sent off to Shadow Falls camp for being at a party that had drugs and alcohol. Now while the camp is made to seem like it's for troubled teens, it's anything but that. It's a camp where supernatural teens go to train their powers and be able to fit in the human world. As soon as Kylie realizes that Shadow Falls is not normal, she thinks she's there by mistake. But she later finds out she's anything but human except there're only one problem. Everyone seems to know what they are but her. She doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. And above all, she starts to see ghosts.

   She meets some of the greatest characters I've ever read. There are her roommates: Della (a bad ass vampire), and Miranda (a witch with dyslexia). And they're always fighting with each other. We have Derek, the sexy fae who is such a sweetheart, who reminds Kylie of her human ex. Kylie doesn't know if her feelings for him are real because fae can manipulate emotions just by a touch. We also have Holiday, the camp leader and council, who is also a fae. Then there are the werewolves. We've got Fredericka, who is a bitch to Kylie because of Lucas.

   When Kylie was six years old, Lucas was her next door neighbor, and she didn't know what they were at the time. But she had a cat and it was killed. She seemingly accused Lucas of doing it and that's when Lucas and his parents moved away. But he was fascinated by her. And when Kylie goes to the camp he's there right before her eyes and she flashes back to the memory of her dead cat and the time he rescued her from bullies, who had thrown a rock at her. Lucas is a blue-eyed gorgeous man and he's mysterious, who shouldn't be confused by an appearance of a boy. And Kylie is frightened by him at first because of what he is but she slowly lets her fear go and lets her feelings get the best of her.

   Then while Kylie is trying to figure out her true identity, there are these events occurring that are making the government want to shut down the camp. And this isn't explained 'til the very end. But that's okay because I was so into Kylie's journey.

   As I've read the whole series, I know that there is a serious love triangle so I wouldn't recommend this book if you're not into that. I still encourage you to read it. Just give it a chance and you'll find a good book to read and characters to fall in love with like I did. It's not fully on the romance more like half about Kylie finding out who she truly is and the other half on her romance life. But it is a good mix. Both Derek and Lucas were so lovable that I couldn't pick a side. And I didn't know who Kylie would choose. There was no cliffhanger at the end but you'll want to jump into the next book in an instant. This book was such a rush of joy and I wish I was reading it again for the first time. So go get it as this is a must-read. You'll be having the time of your life.


5 Stars: Blew My Mind!! :D :D

1 comment:

  1. I picked up this book about 3 weeks ago and I loved it. I think I read it within a couple of days. I bought them at a sale and got books one to four. I am glad you liked this series, it will encourage me to finish it off! :)

    I agree that there is a good mix between soul searching and romance! :)

    Thanks for sharing & great review! :) xx


    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...