Monday, June 2, 2014

Review: Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

Date Published: April 29, 2014
Format: Paperback, 379 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Purchased
Series: The Sweet Trilogy, #3
Purchase Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble


Synopsis from Goodreads:

It’s time. 

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.


The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.

My Review:


"I just got out of the shower, luv."

   I am truly sad to see this series come and go. But like all good things, it must come to an end. It was such a torture having to wait for Sweet Reckoning to come out since this was one of my most anticipated books of 2014. The story starts off exactly where Sweet Peril left us. With Anna leaving L.A. and the planning to rid the world of the dukes and the whisperers. 

  "Only Kaidan Rowe would sit naked on the other side of the camera, completely conchalant."

   The way I saw was that Anna's character grew from a naive and complete-innocent girl to a braver and stronger person. She puts her new acquired fighting skills to good use. And she knows of the importance of her having to stay "pure" in order to be able to wield the sword of righteousness. But the duke of lust won't stop until he knows that she isn't a virgin anymore. He sent the sons of Thamuz , the daughter of Jezebet, the son of Shax, and the very best for last: his own son, Kaidan. *squeals* When Kaidan showed up at Anna's hotel room to rid her of her innocence, I might have died a couple of times. That scene was oh so sexy. But I won't spoil what happened. Anna and Kaidan were able to thwart the dukes so that they got what they wanted and Anna was able to stay pure. *hint,hint*

  "His mouth hit mine with a wave of warm, citrusy pheromones and his body pressed me to the wall."

   Kaidan is seemingly put to work against Anna and Anna has to choose how far she wants to go in order to rid the world of evil. Kaidan showed us another side of him that he had hidden away, he was so sweet on Anna. But I totally wanted to see his rough side but don't worry we got to see that ;) Their relationship was brought up a notch to sexy and steaminess. I totally wished this wasn't YA. Why???

   "I'm not as hard to please as you might imagine. But don't worry-I'll show you anything you want."

   My heart broke for Jay. He and Marna went through a lot in this book. I also wanted to see more on Blake and Ginger and Kopano and Zania. And they do get their spotlight but I felt like the b-plot was more on Jay and Marna. And then we had a death of a character which I never saw coming. It completely broke my heart. But there was a reunion between two characters which I was waiting and hoping for since Sweet Peril.

"Aw, c'mon Kaidan Rowe, hottie-boom-bottir. Let's play."

   Overall, this was such a sweet and satisfying ending to such a breathtaking series. And I'll never forget Anna and Kaidan. And all the other yummy boys. But Kaidan will always hold a place in my heart even when I get married. I recommend this to everyone who is interested in reading about the deadly sins and loves angels and demons. This was one heck of a read and I can't believe it's over. So long to this sweet series. 

5 Stars: Blew My Mind!! :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...