Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Review: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Date Published: February 25, 2014
Format: Paperback, 392 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Purchased at Amazon
Series: The Dark Elements, #1
Purchase Links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Book Depository


Synopsis from Goodreads:

One kiss could be the last

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely

off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.



Another Jennifer L. Armentrout book you say? I say to heck with that. I love all the books this woman writes that I don't have to know or read the summary to know that I will like it. I practically read all her books but I've fallen behind on her Covenant series that I have to re-read the first book. Anyways... It's been a while since I read the book for the very first time since I read it almost all of it the day it came out which was four months ago. But I've never gotten around to writing the actual review, so here I am.

My Review:

   When I heard that Jen was writing this book about gargoyles, I didn't know what to think and I didn't really pay much attention to it. But when I did look at it, my heart felt... And oh my god. This book was so deliciously good. And don't be alarmed by the gargoyles because it's not what you think it is. They are not the evil looking or ugly little statues you see in front of chapels or churches. When they shift into their gargoyle form, they gain horns on their heads, wings, and their skin turns grayish. I can't really describe it some more so you'll just have to read the book. The gargoyles are actually called Wardens and they basically ward off demons like you've heard. But they actually fight them and protect the humans, who know that wardens exist because ten years before the story starts, the wardens came out of their shell. And there are groups of humans who don't like them and think that they are evil and hate them.
   
  The main character is named Layla, who is half-warden and half-demon so she is a very VERY rare species because demons and wardens HATE each other. She's been raised by the wardens ever since they took her away from her foster home and raised her to believe that her demon side is bad. And because she's half-demon, she was bestowed a power to be able to suck out someone's soul just by kissing them. And this causes a problem for Layla because she's attracted to Zayne, the son of the man who raised her (Abbott, leader of the Washington D.C. Warden clan), who she connected with when she was little, but he treats her like a sister. And she can't be with him because she can suck out his soul. I loved Zayne. And to make matters worse, his father wants him to mate with Danika, another warden from the New York warden clan.
  
   Enters, Roth, a demon who works in Acquisitions in Hell. And he's been sent to protect Layla because she's the reason why all hell is breaking loose. And she's a part of this prophecy that will lead to an Apocalypse. Roth shows Layla how not all demons are bad and she starts to question what is good and what is bad. He tells her that her Wardens have kept her in the dark her whole life. He knows how lonely she's been, living with the wardens because not everyone approves of her and some want to see her gone.

   Now Roth was such a swoon-worthy character especially with those come-to-life tattoos that he has. And the most exciting thing is he doesn't have a soul so Layla can kiss him all she wants and nothing bad will happen. (TEAM ROTH) He was a total bad boy hottie and couldn't get enough of him.
  
   Overall, White Hot Kiss grasped my attention from beginning to the very end. It was THAT good and you won't want to put it down. The whole premise and characters in it were all eye-catching. And this has never been done before like EVER. So if you're sick and tired of reading about vampires and werewolves, which has been overly done too many times, then this is definitely the book to read. You won't be disappointed and the ending will devastate you, it was such a hard cliffhanger. I'm already dying for Stone Cold Touch, the sequel to this die-hard series.

5 Stars: Blew My Mind!! :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...