Thursday, June 5, 2014

Review: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Date Published: October 2, 2012
Format: Hardcover, 369
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Purchased
Series: The Arcana Chronicles, #1
Purchase Links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


Synopsis from Goodreads:

She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen-year-old Evangeline "Evie" Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they're still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for

answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can't do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can't totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it's not always clear who is on which side.


My Review:

   I actually picked this book up when I was visiting my sister in Minnesota last summer. And I started reading it and it just intrigued me. So I had to get it. I had huge expectations and it went beyond them.
 
"Why wouldn't I? I'm a red-blooded male, and you're the only game in town. Tell me you doan think about it."

   Poison Princess is a new revitalizing story line. This has never been done before and that's why I love the book so much. It's not your average dystopian book with the same plot. This story involves the tarot cards (the cards that are used for fortune telling.) like Death, The lovers, The magician, etc.

"Have you lost your mind? Ugh! I am not skinny-dipping with you."

   The main character is named Evangeline "Evie" Greene, she's sixteen, and she's definitely not normal. She's really popular with a boyfriend. She's part of this ancient prophecy of a game vs. good and evil (to the death). There are a group of teenagers who each play a certain tarot card and Evie is one of them. But just before the games begin, Evie gets visions that are disturbing. She gets warnings by people she's never met before. Then before she has any chance to put the pieces together, the whole world is hit by an apocalypse called "The Flash" and most people are killed except for the person she hates the most: Jackson.
 
"Admit it, this is the real reason you volunteered to help me-because you wanted to sleep with me!"

   She decides to travel to her grandmother to find answers of her visions. And Jack agrees to protect her along the way. Evie and Jack have this intense chemistry between them and that's what kept me intrigued the most. It wasn't instant love; they really hated each other from the start but as the story goes on, they just can't stay away as feelings turn intense.

"Evangeline, I'm goan to kiss you until your toes curl, until we're breathing for each other."

   Evie is so realistic but she's sadly the complete opposite of what I am. She's strong and not weak. She was such a good heroine. She has to learn how to survive in an environment that she's not familiar with because she is a rich girl and had been pampered all her life. She has to deal with the death of the people she knew including her boyfriend and best friend. And all she has left is Jack, who she barely knows and despised from the start of the story.

"Um, um, UM, Evie. Just seeing you in that getup makes me feel more... cheerful."

   Jack was cruel at the beginning and I wanted to jump into the book to beat him senseless. Especially for his poor reason of only wanting to be with Evie because he thought she was the last girl in the world. But he makes up for it and is totally gorgeous especially with his french accent. He is Cajun french (not sure if I worded this correctly). And, yes, he was cruel and mean to Evie but is a total sweet heart. He has a way of saying things that will make you swoon. It was very clear of how attracted he was to Evie from the very beginning.

“If you touch me like that again, Evangeline,” he began in a husky tone, dropping to his seat once more, “in the space of a heartbeat, I will have you off this bike and onto the closest horizontal surface. And I woan be picky, no.”

   Poison Princess is a must read and it won't let you down. You won't want to put it down for even one second, I didn't. I wanted to read the next book as soon as I was finished with it. It'll make you fall in love with Jack and the relationship with him and Evie. This book was intense, full of steamy romance, action, and drama. I extremely recommend this to a dystopian lovers looking for an original plot.

5 Stars: Blew My Mind!! :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...