Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Burying Water by K.A. Tucker

Burying Water by K.A. Tucker

Date Published: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Format: E-book, 320 Pages
Series: Burying Water, #1

Summary from Goodreads:

The top-selling, beloved indie author of Ten Tiny Breaths returns with a new romance about a young woman who loses her memory—and the man who knows that the only way to protect her is to stay away. 
Left for dead in the fields of rural Oregon, a young woman defies all odds and survives—but she awakens with no idea who she is, or what happened to her. Refusing to answer to “Jane Doe” for another day, the woman renames herself “Water” for the tiny, hidden marking on her body—the only clue to her past. Taken in by old Ginny Fitzgerald, a crotchety but kind lady living on a nearby horse farm, Water slowly begins building a new life. But as she attempts to piece together the fleeting slivers of her memory, more questions emerge: Who is the next-door
neighbor, quietly toiling under the hood of his Barracuda? Why won’t Ginny let him step foot on her property? And why does Water feel she recognizes him? 
Twenty-four-year-old Jesse Welles doesn’t know how long it will be before Water gets her memory back. For her sake, Jesse hopes the answer is never. He knows that she’ll stay so much safer—and happier—that way. And that’s why, as hard as it is, he needs to keep his distance. Because getting too close could flood her with realities better left buried. 
The trouble is, water always seems to find its way to the surface.

My Review:

   I remember when I first saw this book, I instantly wanted to read it because it reminded me of Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Both main characters dealt with losing their memory. I think I've just fallen in love with this plot concept because it's not seen too often (Or I haven't read about it a lot). And when I sat down and finally read it, I was grabbed at the very beginning. We see all these terrible things had happened to Jane Doe/Water. I instantly feel for her and all that happened to her. It makes you want to see what happened, why, and who was responsible.

   One thing I thought was very unique is that it's in alternating point's of views between Water and Jesse (The man that Water feels close to). But Jesse's P.O.V is from the past. It's like you get the story of how it all started before Water loses her memory. We see how she and Jesse meet. We kind of start to unravel all the questions when it's in his point of view. But we also see Water's narration and how she slowly regains her memory. I really loved that aspect of the story. I thought that at first I wouldn't like seeing the past narration but I actually enjoyed it even more than when Water was narrating.

   I thought it was such a bittersweet love story. I just had so much pity for Water. Her case just made me so angry for her. I'm not going to say who was behind it all but you do find out.

   The one problem I did have with this book is the ending. I absolutely hated it. We didn't even see the antagonist. The person never made an appearance. Only during Jesse's past narration. That's it. We don't even know what happened to him/her. It's just mentioned that justice was made. But I felt cheated. Like really? They only focused on Water regaining her memories but it didn't feel like her perpetrator got what he/she deserved. I didn't like that one bit. It was all luvvie dubbie and then THE END. 

   I also felt like some parts were a bit dragging with too much info drops. But you get past it with the romance. I thought the lovers' situation was very touching and moving. But you pity them in the situation that they are in. I guess you could call it forbidden and a sin. But it wasn't lust, they just happened to fall in love at the wrong time.

   Something that I thought was interesting and unique was that you see how Water changes from the women she was in the past to how she turned out to be once she lost her memories. Second chance. New chance to start all over again.

   I do think that if the story was only in Jesse's past narration, I feel like I would have loved this book much more. It might have been a bigger deal. But, overall, I liked how it was well thought out. It's unlike anything I've ever read. I didn't suspect what the plot of the story was from the very start and it made the suspense even greater.
   
3 Stars: I Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...