Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Date Published: September 7, 2010
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly

awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Review:

   This is one of the books I read early-on when I was started to get into reading. I was quite happy with the results. Although it might be not be one of the very best, I still quite enjoyed it and didn't stop until I finished it.

   We have Bianca, our main character, who finds herself in a predicament, and she searches for a distraction. She finds it in Wesley but the problem is that she hates him and he's such a playboy. A complete hottie at that. She kisses him and uses him. But through time she starts to feel more than she ever thought she would.

   The reason I really loved this book was because I was able to connect with Bianca on a huge level. The things that Wesley says to her like how she's the duff out of her friends. He says that in every group of friends there is always the duff. When I was in middle school and high school, I felt like I was a duff. It was really hurtful. I got called ugly and that's what happens to Bianca.

   I have no idea how I like Wesley. But I do. I shouldn't because he reminds me of the boy that once called me ugly. He says hurtful things to Bianca but then she finds out that they are not so different after all. I guess that's when they connected. I really enjoyed reading about this pair. It kind of reminds me that we're not so different.

   Overall, The Duff was such a well-paced and realistically written story. I think a lot of readers will be able to connect with it. The characters were really enjoyable and so was Wesley<3 It was a really fun quick read.


4 Stars: A Great Read!! :D :D

2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...