Thursday, February 12, 2015

ARC REVIEW: An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Release Date: April 28, 2015
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Print ARC, 443 pages
Source: Won
Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy, Romance
Pre-order Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

Add To Goodreads


Set in a terrifyingly brutal Rome-like world, An Ember in the Ashes is an epic fantasy debut about an orphan fighting for her family and a soldier fighting for his freedom. It’s a story that’s literally burning to be told.

LAIA is a Scholar living under the iron-fisted rule of the Martial Empire. When her brother is arrested for treason, Laia goes undercover as a slave at the empire’s greatest military academy in exchange for assistance from rebel Scholars who claim that they will help to save her brother from execution.

ELIAS is the academy’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias is considering deserting the military, but before he can, he’s ordered to participate
in a ruthless contest to choose the next Martial emperor.

When Laia and Elias’s paths cross at the academy, they find that their destinies are more intertwined than either could have imagined and that their choices will change the future of the empire itself.


*I received an advance reading copy from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review.*


   It was absolutely stunning and captivating. I started off not knowing much about this novel but felt drawn to that beautiful cover. And when I read the synopsis I knew that I had to read this. And imagine the surprise when I was given the chance to read it early.

   It pulled me in like lightning speed. The beginning is just so shocking and I immediately felt connected with the main character Laia. The things that were done to her family were so heartbreaking and left her utterly alone and hopeless. And in her situation, I wouldn’t have had a clue as what to do either. But she decides to scout the Scholar Rebellion in hopes that they will help rescue her brother who was captured in a night raid from the Ruthless Martial Empire.

   The author did such a good job with the world building. I could imagine how it all looked and how savage the setting is. There were details but not enough to bore you to death. And the introductions of the characters were done well too. I didn’t have any trouble keeping up with them.

   Also I very much enjoyed the shifting narrative point of views between Laia and Elias. There was no confusion whatsoever and I could pick up what was going on. It was a very smooth transitioning between the two because sometimes the chapter ends and the next chapter didn't always pick up right where we left off. It kind of helped the story go at a faster pace, which I very much appreciated.

   I enjoyed the interactions between Laia and Elias but it wasn't a lot. And I also wished that the romance elements was a bit more. I think it could have made the story a lot stronger. Not that it isn't already but I would have enjoyed it all the more. And they seem like a very swoon-worthy couple. Since the romance was not a lot, I kind of imagined the romance all on my own in my head. And I get the feeling that if there was tk be a second book, then there might be a love triangle. But it will be the good kind. I quite liked where Laia's relationship was going with Keenan. But I also like her with Elias.

   There were so many revelations at the very end that wrapped up the story and makes you want to read the second book. But guess what? It’s not even out. And it’s going to make you have a book hangover.

   Overall, An Ember In The Ashes is going to be an unforgettable book that you won't want to put down! It's even more crazier that this is a debut!! You'll be amazed at what you'll find in this epic adventure.



5 Hearts: Out Of This World!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...