Monday, April 20, 2015

ARC REVIEW: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno

99 Days by Katie Cotugno

Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Format: ARC, 372 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Series: Standalone
Release Date: April 21, 2015
Pre-order Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

 Add To Goodreads 

Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done. 
Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”
Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

*I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher in an exchange for an honest review.* 


   Just as I was on the brink of taking a break from reading due to being in a reading slump, I began to read this novel. It was like magic because I read almost half of it in one sitting. It was going by so quick. I wanted to devour it all when I realized it was passed midnight and so I had to go to sleep. But believe me, it was hard to resist.

   The situations that the main character, Molly, was put through were so heartbreaking. She had these big decisions to make. And I couldn't stand what she was being put through. Because of a bad decision she made in the past, she is mistreated very harshly by people she used to be close to when she comes back to her hometown for the summer. And she's also having problems with her mother who actually wrote a bestselling novel based on her heartbreak.

   The characters were very well written and I felt emotional over them. I actually cried because of the cruelty that the main character had to go through. It's a damn good story when you start getting the 'feels' and you're really invested.

   Though I did think that some choices that the characters made were disappointing and not thought out well. They were just asking for more heartbreaks. It made more sense at the end. But it was still saddening. It was a very complicated situation to be in and I don't know what I would have done had I been in the same shoes as Molly. I thought the romance was messed up and equally as messed up because she's torn between two brothers. One was her first love and one she had a night with. I honestly didn't know who I wanted Molly to end up with. 

   The ending wasn't entirely my favorite because it leaves off where you're just left to wonder what could possibly happen next. But there won't be a next book as this is a standalone so we really are left to ponder.

   Overall, 99 Days is a bucket of , heartbreaks, and very enjoyable to read during the summer. If you love to read contemporaries and want a quick read, then this is it. It was full of drama and an endless love story and was very fast paced.


4 Hearts: A Great Read!

2 comments:

  1. I love it when I find a book that breaks a slump. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...