Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Amazon Marketplace: The Good and The Bad

This is like the Beauty and the Beast. What a weird comparison!!

   I've no clue why on Earth I decided to write about this. It's just something I came to realize now that I am a blogger. 

   Back when I was just a reader, I had no freaking clue what arcs (Advanced Reading Copies) were. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Now I've seen people selling arcs even though it's illegal!! It always happens on Ebay and I also heard about someone selling them on their Instagram account.

   All those people are selling arcs and people buying them probably don't realize they are getting taken advantaged of. 

   I always like turning to the marketplace because when I can't afford to buy the fully priced book, I find a cheaper price for it. But now I can't enjoy going into this without being fully cautions now.

The Beauty

   This is one of the good drawbacks I've ever had from ordering on the Marketplace. In fact, I didn't even realize that it was signed for a while. I think it may have taken a year?! I don't remember but I do know that I totally fangirled when I found out. I don't even think that the seller stated that it was signed, they just sold it.

   It's one of my favorite books ever and very grateful to have it signed!!


The Beast

  If you look closely at the book, you'll see the Not For Sale sign that marks it as an arc. And this was so long ago when I bought it on the Amazon Market place. But since I wasn't a blogger back then, I didn't know what it meant. And so I didn't do anything as I didn't know what an arc was. And I was only like 15 years old.

   But now I realize that someone took advantage of me and I didn't even know. And I was much younger then so I didn't know what the hell it all meant; from the front mark and the promotion info. on the back.

   I mean I guess I'm okay with owning an arc of Pushing The Limits because it's one of my favorite series. And I love to have it in my collection. This is the only positive way I see this. But STILL I paid for a finished copy. I'm not really angered about it now because it was so long ago. But if I had bought another book on the marketplace now and it turned out to be an arc. I know I'd be pissed. That's not okay especially because you can't see a picture of the book and see if it's legit. 


   Honestly, all you can do is be careful when you buy used books online. I'm sure there are more deceptive sellers on Amazon like this one out there. So everyone buy at your own caution.

Has this ever happened to you? Do you order from the Amazon Marketplace? If so, what have your experiences been like? Tell me in the comments below.


2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, you are right and ARCS do get sold. I have seen many at used book stores even, not to mention all of them online. It 's sad because, as you know, the only person making anything off that sale is the seller--not the publisher, not the author. But I DO love the marketplace for being able to purchase some UK titles that aren't available here in the US--always had good experiences(so far, knocking on wood...)
    back seats and airports--what to read in noisy places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them at used bookstores. And I also love that side about the marketplace because I love some UK editions as well :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...