Sunday, April 19, 2015

MOVIEW REVIEW: Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey


NOTE: Just because I watched and enjoyed the movie does not mean I support rape.  Some people criticizing others and that is not okay. This film is not abuse. Ana is 23 and Christian is 26. They are not underage and Ana gives Christian her consent. BDSM is a lifestyle and this actually happens in real life.

   This was a movie that I was really anticipating ever since I found out that it was being turned into a film. I was really curious about who would be cast and if they would choose the right actors that would rightfully portray Ana and Christian. It was a bit shocking because at first they had cast someone before Jamie to play Christian and I hated that male actor. He didn't look like how I had envisioned Christian. But then Jamie was cast and I thought he was perfect.

   The choice that I was really nervous about though was Dakota playing Ana. I just thought she looked so much older and I didn't think I would like her. But I ended up being impressed by her portrayal. Both actors did a wonderful job bringing their characters to life and
also adding something more. Dakota actually portrayed Ana as a more sophisticated and stronger Ana than in the books where she is more weaker.

   There were so many humorous scenes that had me laughing. Especially when Ana is drunk and calls Christian. Then the scene I really loved and though was beautiful is when Christian takes Ana on his helicopter. I loved seeing the dark sky and the city's lights. And how it was smoky.

   The beginning wasn't really that impressive because the pacing was going way too quick. And the interview scene wasn't at all how I had imagined it to be. But something I was impressed with was the soundtrack especially Elle Goulding's Love Me Like You Do. I always love her songs in movies. It made me love the helicopter scene even more.

   Really, my only complaints was that I didn't like who they chose for Elliot, Kate, and Mia. I didn't think they did justice to their characters. They had hilarious scenes but I just couldn't see them as the characters.

   The ending was really hard seeing come to life. And I can't wait to see the second movie, Fifty Shades Darker, because it just gets better!!

   Overall, Fifty Shades of Grey turned out to be better than I thought it would be. I'd only recommend to see the movie if you loved the books though because you'll understand the characters and story better. It is absolutely not abuse or rape whatsoever. 

P.S. I know I'm really late on this. But better late than never, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...