Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Publication Date: August 24, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: Paperback, 375 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Sci-Fi
Series: The Maze Runner, #1

Add To Goodreads


"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying

.



My Review:

   I am sort of confused right now. I have really mixed feelings about this book at the moment. Because I was really slow at reading it, does that mean I didn't like it?! I don't know, it did feel slow at times but then it had me intrigued. I think it's because I watched the movie first and I already knew what was going to happen. So it wasn't really a big surprise to me. But the book is a lot different than the movie.

   I'll just say that I think the plot is very good but I think it just works better in a movie. The writing was something that I did love about it. It was so well written like it had a good editor. And the ending was completely different from the movie and things were explained much better.

   Though it did do me good reading the book because it explains how important the character Teresa is and the connection between her and Thomas and what makes them different from the other gladers. 

   Also I wanted to point out that Alby and Newt are way meaner. And Thomas is way more curious. 

   If you are into YA dystopian books, then this is it because the plot is so intricate and probably never done before. Don't watch the movie first, it will kind of ruin the element of surprise like it did for me. I feel like maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I did. 

   The beginning was really slow for me, I had to push myself to keep going until the 100 page mark because that's when I started enjoying it more. 

   I had so many questions and by the end, I did get some answers so that was a relief. But now I have more questions that will probably be answered in the second book. I should jump on that train straight-away! 

   Also the way it ended, it made me curious enough to read the second book in the trilogy.


3 Stars: I Like It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...