Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Publication Date: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: Paperback, 320 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Contemporary
Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a
storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

My Review:

   This was such a great way to end the year of 2014 with. It pulled me right out of my reading slump. It's making me want to read more thriller books. It's not often that I read thriller books but I picked the perfect one to start with.

   Ten left me wanting for more. It was such a quick-paced novel that I couldn't put it down. I kept suspecting everyone and the ending is one that I never saw coming. It was creepy just as it was intriguing. It pulled me in right from the start and it took me like 3 days to finish it. That's how good it was.

   The thing that surprised me the most is that it didn't have a lot of romance and I still loved it. Okay, so maybe it has a teeny tiny romance. But the plot doesn't revolve around it. Usually how it goes for me is that the romance has to be a big part of the book. I praise the author for still pulling me in without the romance!!

   If you loved the movie I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, then you will definitely love this. This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read this novel. The characters are stuck on an island and people are dying. They're trying to survive while there is a killer on the loose. And the ferry won't come back for three days. What's not to love about it?

   The only thing I didn't like is the ending. It was still good but I wanted to know what would happen next. I wanted something like an epilogue. How are the characters dealing after that traumatic event? 

   I definitely recommend this to thriller fans. But don't read it at night 'cause it creeped me out.

5 Stars: Out of This World

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really spooky, but very good! I generally don't love thriller/scary novels but...I'm definitely adding this one onto my TBR list! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Thriller books but this one was a great one to start with :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, but I know this book has garnered many conflicting reviews. I do like the thriller/mystery aspects, but geared towards the adult genre. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. On Goodreads, it has an average 3.74 rating. I honestly thought I wouldn't like it, but I did :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to know you liked this book, too! :) I've read and loved Ten last December, and that's saying much because I'm not a fan of the horror genre. :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...