Thursday, January 15, 2015

Review: The Queen by Kiera Cass

The Queen by Kiera Cass

Date Published: December 2, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen Impulse
Format: E-book, 64 pages
Series: The Selection, #0.4
Purchase Links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Add To Goodreads

Before America Singer's story began, another girl came to the palace to compete for the hand of a different prince…. 
Don't miss this digital original novella set in the captivating world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series. This prequel story takes place before the events of The Selection and is told from the point of view of Prince Maxon's mother, Amberly. Discover a whole new Selection with this inside look at how Maxon's parents met—and how
an ordinary girl named Amberly became a beloved queen.


   This was such an interesting novella where we got to see how Amberly and the king were during their selection contest. I was really excited when it came out!

   It was honestly a very quick read. It's only 64 pages and anyone who's read The Selection should read this novella. It gives you a new perspective of the queen and king and we get to learn a little bit more about them. While I did enjoy their little short story, I felt like there was something missing. 

   I think it was more focused on how Amberly was constantly getting headaches and pains because of where she came from. And it didn't seem all that focused on the relationship between her and the king. I also didn't like how the king reacted when he found out that she gets ill.

   But I did love seeing the new side of him that we didn't see in The One. To be honest, it was kind of awkward. We've always been shown his ruthless side but we learn that he also has a gentle, playful side to him. But I actually wanted to learn why he is the way he is. And we never learn. That was kind of a bummer.

   Either way, I still thoroughly enjoyed it since it was very short; otherwise, I may have not loved it that much.


3 Stars: I Liked It

4 comments:

  1. I was a teeny bit disappointed with The One because America has turned into another "Bella" choosing between her two love interest and throughout the series Queen Amberly is one of my favourite character. That is rather short for a novella :/ I was hoping to have a spin off perhaps :P Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also would have preferred it to be longer. Sadly, it's not :/

      Delete
  2. I know it's a "prequel novella" but would you actually recommend reading it before book one? Lately, I've come across several prequel novellas that only really make sense if you have read book one.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so as I don't really recall any possible spoilers..

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! It really makes me happy knowing that people actually read my posts and that I'm not talking to myself. I will always try to respond to comments when I can or return the favor by commenting on your blog if you have one :)

As of August 2015, A Reader Under The Sea is an award-free blog. I appreciate it that you want to award me with something :)

Diversity Spotlight Tuesday: Latinx Books

   Now this is a feature that just speaks to me especially since I mostly read books by marginalized authors. And it's all I want to ...